“Ho
Oliver!” Archer said, grasping forearms with Oliver.
“Ho Archer!” Oliver replied, grinning. “How
are you Avia? I’m glad you’re safe.”
“Thank you, Oliver.” Avia smiled. “I am
indebted to you for the note.”
“I was just doing my duty.” Oliver said.
“Come, let’s get you rested.”
Oliver led the group toward a small castle
on the other side of Mount Corolith. It reminded Avia of a smaller version of
her home. The group walked in the courtyard, and Avia saw a whole group of
people working and training.
“What’s going on here?” Avia asked, shock in
her voice.
“We’re training for battle.” Oliver replied,
helping her dismount.
“Training for battle?” Avia exclaimed. “What
battle?”
“The one to restore peace and justice to
Belladona. The one you will lead.” Oliver answered.
Avia was now completely confused. Was she
supposed to lead an army now? Oliver motioned for Avia to follow, and he led
her into the dining hall. On the table were rolls upon rolls of parchment.
Chairs were gathered at one end of the table, and there were maps hung on the
wall behind the Head of the table, where the House Crest would usually hang.
Avia stood in the doorway, to stunned to move.
“Avia?” came Oliver’s voice, gentle and
firm. “Could you come over here please?”
As if in a trance, Avia walked over to where
Oliver was standing.
“Ever since the last day I saw you, I have
been trying to rescue you and prepare an army so you could take your rightful
place as Queen of Belladona.” Oliver said, gesturing to the plans spread across
the table.
“When was the last day you saw me?” Avia
asked. “I’ve never met you before.”
“Yes you have.” Oliver answered. “I used to
come over every week with my cousin, Ian. I’m Ollie, your best friend!”
“Ollie!” Avia screamed, throwing her arms
around Oliver’s neck.
The two friends hugged, and Avia started
crying.
“Why are you crying?” Oliver asked, handing
Avia a handkerchief.
“I never thought that I’d see you again.”
Avia responded, drying her eyes. “I was so upset when you and Ian left and
never came back.”
“I know.” Oliver said. “I wanted to keep
going back, but Uncle told me what your uncle was going to do, and he said it
was best if we didn’t go back. So, we didn’t, and I mourned you for years.”
“But still,” Avia replied. “You reached out
to save me.”
“I took a chance.” Oliver said, hanging his
head. “I should have done it sooner, as soon as I came of age. But, I thought
they had already done it. When I saw you in town, I knew I had to act fast. We
made the plan that night, and I sent you the letter the next morning.”
“I still can’t believe we’re reunited,
Ollie.” Avia smiled, squeezing his hand.
Avia looked at the plans on the table. One
piece stuck out to her. It was an old piece of parchment, with a paragraph
written in runes, and a failed translation.
“What’s this?” Avia asked, holding up the
parchment.
“Oh, that’s something Archer gave me.”
Oliver replied. “I tried to translate it, but as you can see, I failed.”
“The one to wield the Sword that Conquers
All,” Avia read, surprising Oliver. “will be born as the last leaf falls. Only
they shall bring the Sword from Stone, and they alone shall bring peace to
their home.”
“You can read Runes?” Oliver exclaimed.
“Uncle made me study it.” Avia answered. “Is
this the prophecy about the Conqueror’s Sword?”
“It is.” Oliver said, looking for a sheet of
parchment. “When is your birthday?”
“December 21st. Why?” Avia said,
looking at the parchment.
“I’m trying to see who would fit the
prophecy.” Oliver replied, writing her birthday down. “You’re the only one that
fits.”
“Wait.” Avia said, “Why are we taking over
Belladona? My uncle is the rightful ruler.”
“You might want to sit down, Avia.” Oliver
said gently, pulling a chair out for her.
Avia put the piece of parchment containing
the prophecy down on the table, and then sat in the chair Oliver had pulled
out.
“You are the rightful ruler of Belladona.”
Oliver said, looking her in the eyes.
“What?” Avia replied, breathless.
“You are the rightful ruler of Belladona.”
Oliver repeated. “Your uncle was jealous of your father. He was the eldest, but
your grandfather deemed him unfit to rule. Instead, your grandfather named your
father as his heir. When your grandfather died, your father became ruler of
Belladona. From then on, your uncle started planning ways he could kill your
father, and take the throne. He waited until after you were born, then he
killed them both and made it look like an assassin had come into the castle to
kill your father and mother. Then, he named himself as king, and killed anyone
that supported your father. Your aunt begged your uncle to keep you alive so
that they would look good to the people. But now that they have a child of
their own, they could kill you too. My uncle told me all of this the last day
we were together. He said he would save you, if he could. But he died before he
could take action.”
Avia didn’t know what to say. She was the
rightful ruler of Belladona. Oliver watched her for a few seconds, and then
helped her to one of the bedchambers on the outside of the dining hall. Avia
lay down in the bed, and fell into a stunned sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment